Friday, August 13, 2010

Top 80s Teen Flicks (According to Me)

Ahh the 80s! Even though I was alive for only 7 months of the decade, I feel like I know it so well. One of my favourite things to do is host mini-movie marathons with specific themes. So here are my favourite teen flicks (in no particular order)!


1. Valley Girl


I don't usually like Nicolas Cage in movies, but there are a few times that I have at least liked the movie he was in. This movie is usually overlooked but it is actually reeeeally good. Check it out.


2. Fast Times at Ridgemont High


Obvious! This movie was not afraid to "go there". It's actually based off a novel by Cameron Crowe who went undercover at a real high school. He then adapted that book into a screenplay and out came one of the best teen flicks of all time. Of course this movie would be nothing without Sean Penn's Spicoli and a lot of people remember it for Phoebe Cates' "performance".

3. Ferris Bueller's Day Off


I could very easily make this list using only John Hughes films, but I'll save that for another day. Ferris Bueller's my favourite because I both wish that I was Ferris and that I could find a guy like Ferris. But also, I would have absolutely no problem having a hypochondriac like Cameron. He seems like a righteous dude as well.


4. The Breakfast Club



This is considered by many many people the definition of good teen movies.We can all identify with each character and we really feel the pain and angst they are going through. I love how each character starts out as something one-dimensional and by the end they are no longer just a typical stereotype. The best moment in the movie is the random dance sequence! Why won't anyone ever indulge in my random dance parties? Well, I guess my bestie does, but most people just look at me and slowly back away. 


5. Say Anything


Hello John Cusack. Had I been a teen in the 80s I would have totally had my walls covered with posters of him. A sweet and sensitive guy who had dark hair and was slightly nerdy (just my type). This is another Cameron Crowe one and it may be one of my favourite movies of all time. I am in love with Lloyd Dobbler and that love grows with every viewing.


6. Just One Of The Guys


Not a lot of people even know aboot this one which is a shame. It is a loose adaptation of The Twelfth Night and is superior to She's The Man. One of the things that make it much better is the fact that our lead character, Terri, actually could pass as a dude (she's not fug, just very androgynous). 


7. Better Off Dead


I repeat: I have a crush on John Cusack. This movie is a little more 'out there' and a lot of the jokes aren't for everyone, but I still love it. Lane Meyer has several unsuccessful attempts at suicide after his girlfriend dumps him in favour of raising her social status. But then Lane starts taking a liking to the new French student and begins to live his life. Fun fact: the French student, Monique, is played by the same girl who played Joan of Arc in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure!



8. Sixteen Candles


I think this may be my favourite Molly Ringwald film and it's not just because Jake Ryan is a total fox. Of course, we do need to look past the racist Asian stereotype (I forgive you John Hughes). Fun Fact: this was almost brought to real life this past year with me. Not all the details were there (i.e., I was not turning sixteen) but my cousin was going to get married on my birthday and if I were American it would have been a big deal (21, hello!). I told my family that I would be fine with it as long as I could have my very own Jake Ryan, but no go. The wedding ended up being two days before my birthday anyways.


9. Heathers

 
Such a good movie. I mentioned in my Eerie Indiana post aboot Dash X having a Christian Slater-like voice. Well, Jason Marsden must have just taken Christian Slaters performance from this awesome movie and used that as inspiration. Very very dark, but soooo funny. Plus there are excellent quotes to choose from such as: "I love my dead, gay son!" and "Fuck me gently with a chainsaw!". Sweet.


10. Pretty In Pink/Some Kind of Wonderful




I had to put both of these together because they are essentially the same movie with genders reversed. Although Pretty in Pink is better known, I prefer Some Kind of Wonderful. So why would John Hughes make essentially the same movie? Well, Pretty in Pink had orginally ended with Duckie getting the girl, this would have been the ending that I wanted. Unfortunately, stupid test audiences didn't want to see that. They wanted that fucker Blane to redeem himself and end up with Andie. Uh, no! Duckie totes deserved the girl!! So Hughes decided to make a new film with the right ending. BTW the one kissing scene is very hot in SKoW. 


Obviously not everyone will agree with this list, but these are the ones that are my favourite and some had to be omitted. Others were omitted because I didn't technically consider the a teen flick. Whatevs!

No comments:

Post a Comment